Our hearts are heavy for the Townville Elementary School community in Anderson School District Four.
Incidents like these often lead to feelings of fear, anger, and sadness. These reactions can be particularly strong in children, especially those who may already be facing loss or other trauma in their lives. For this reason, we are sharing some resources that parents, teachers, and counselors may find helpful.
- Try and keep routines as normal as possible. Kids gain security from the predictability of routine.
- Limit exposure to television and the news.
- Listen to kids' fears and concerns.
- Reassure kids that the world is a good place to be, but that there are people who do bad things.
- Be aware of how you talk about the event and cope with the tragedy. Children learn how to react to the
situation by watching your responses.
Identifying Severely Traumatized Children: Tips for Parents and Teachers - Information about how children experience trauma.
School Safety & Crisis - Resources related to trauma, care for caregivers, and addressing grief.
Addressing Grief: Tips for Teachers and Administrators - Helpful tips to consider when addressing grief.